1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding a 5 week old puppy *NEW PICS*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by phoenixmama, Dec 14, 2009.

1. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I hope it's okay that I started a new topic...I wasn't sure if I should add this to my earlier topic since it is the about the same puppy but a different issue. [​IMG]

Anyway...when it comes to feeding a 5 week old puppy:

We have a high quality moist puppy food for him (top 6 ingredients are meat, no by-products). However, should I supplement him with some sort of puppy formula? If so, would raw goat's milk suffice? Also, I was planning on offering him some food 3-4 times a day. Is that often enough?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I've taken care of lots of puppies and can answer this question for you.

I rescue dogs from the humane society and for four years specialized in puppies, some as young as ten days.

Starting at about four weeks, puppies can eat just high quality puppy chow mixed with warm water. Offer it at least twice a day all warmed up and mooshy.

Three times a day is fine too if you can.

But leave un-moistened dry food in the area as well so the dog can start to nibble on the hard stuff too and learn to eat it dry.

You don't need to add milk of any kind but goat's milk is the best for puppies, but your pup is old enough for just food now.

Make sure you use a high quality food that your veterinarian suggests for your type of dog is all.

Hope that helps!

3. phoenixmama

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Thanks for the info.!

4. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    We got our pup (a rescue) at about 5 1/2 weeks old. We started him on Purina puppy chow moistened real well 3 times a day. He really ate it up and is doing great.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I would put your new puppy(by the way congratulations) on a puppy food specified for large breeds or an adult dog food.

Can't wait to see pics!

6. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    A large breed puppy at that age is really fine on just a high quality dry dog food. You can mix some of the wet with the dry, but it really isn't necessary. Keep in mind every time you change a puppy's diet they can suffer a tummy upset. When I wean my puppies I actually just grind the puppy food with a coffee grinder until it's a powder and mix it with warm water. It makes esentially a wet food, but the transition to the all dry food is easier, and without any tummy problems! You should probably do 3 times a day feedings at this point, and always make sure you have fresh water available.

7. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Get a large breed puppy food and feed it moistened. Switch to adult at 4 months. With large breed dogs you want them to grow as slow as possible, so limit calories and feed lower calorie foods. The slower the joints grow, the less likely to have problems like hip dysplasia and arthritis.

Congratulations on the new puppy! Take lots of pictures, they grow up so fast.

8. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Phoenixmama, what kind of a dog is it?

9. phoenixmama

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Quote:I was told the sire was a Great Pyrenees and the dam was a Newfoundland. I saw both parents, however, and believe that the dam is probably a Newfoundland mix of some sort. She was larger than my Labrador, but definitely not purebred. The sire looked a lot more like an Anatolian Shep. than a Great Pyr.

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Yep she looks like a lab mix. Don't let the size fool you though. I've had labs that were average sized. But I've had a few neighbors that have had some HUGE labs. My suspicion is that neither grandparent was purebred. That other pup almost looks like it's got some St Bernard in it. They all are cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by