Feeding a broody

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PhlyinPheBee, Apr 11, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    My broody frizzle bantam is so very thin. She is on day 13 of sitting. Is it ok for a few days to give her the chick starter 24% to help her out?? She does not eat much as she will only come out for about 10 min and she is more worried on chasing others away from the food rather than eat.

Is this normal????? she is my favorite and I do not want her to get sick.

[​IMG]

2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    She is a good mama. I slip treats and food into mine. They dont come out but once or twice a day. Just enough to drink , poop, and eat a bit. Mine do loose weight but are not emaciated. I think its fine to give them food on the nest. I slip in bread for them. They love it. Good luck with your hatch. Nothing like a good broody! [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Giving her the starter feed will help her out.
    I have a broody on the nest right now and I give her a bowl of feed 2-3 times a day plus high protien treats.
    She will still loose a little weight, but not nearly as bad as she would without the "room service" treatment.

4. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Thanks!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I could never get mine to eat the chick starter by itself...she loved getting scratch feed, warm bowl of brown rice and veggies, etc. On some of the really cold days I mixed some chick starter, scratch, and warm water to make a mash...she loved that.

6. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I will do that in the morning. She LOVES scratch!!!!

Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by