1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding a flock of mixed ages

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dlaciv12, Nov 21, 2011.

1. dlaciv12

dlaciv12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    Half of my flock was hatched in April the other half hatched in July. The April girls are laying but the July girls are obviously behind. Can I start the whole flock on layer feed yet?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a mixed age flock and I fed my girls layer from 6 weeks on....
    They have started laying and seem just fine.

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

From my understanding, you can start them on layer from the age of about 5 months, possibly younger, so I don't see why you can't.

4. Half pintfarms~

Half pintfarms~ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Dothan, AL.
    Mix chick starter and layer pellets together and every one eats what they want=)

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I'd just give them layer, it won't do them any harm at that age.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would give them grower crumble with oyster shell on the side for the layers until they all start laying. The extra calcium can really damage young birds.

7. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:If they were hatched in July then they aren't really "young" anymore. They would be pushing 5 months old already.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:If they were hatched in July then they aren't really "young" anymore. They would be pushing 5 months old already.

Or if they were late July they would be nearing 4 months.

I feed my whole flock grower. Even though a couple of them are over a year old. They just get the extra calcium elsewhere. No soft shells yet. If you have layer, I don't see the harm if they are 5 months old. My flock ranges from 3 months - 1 1/2 years. They are all together and living peacefully [​IMG]

9. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada

Or if they were late July they would be nearing 4 months.

I feed my whole flock grower. Even though a couple of them are over a year old. They just get the extra calcium elsewhere. No soft shells yet. If you have layer, I don't see the harm if they are 5 months old. My flock ranges from 3 months - 1 1/2 years. They are all together and living peacefully [​IMG]

If your offering oyster shells to your older layers, chances are the younger birds are eating some aswell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by