Feeding a mixed age flock....help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicklette 1, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    I have 9 Laying hens in a coop and pen and have been integrating a group of 8 week olds with them. The 8 week olds are ready to be released full time with the older hens. My problem is that I do not want the younger birds eating the layer food. I wonder if there is a food that I can feed to all of them without harming any one. They are free all day with the older ones and can be put in with them at night now........I just do not know what to do with the food situation. I have always done free feeding. I am not so worried about the layers eating the chick food as I am about the younger ones eating the layer food. Help please on a way to handle this.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I think purina has a feed csalled all flock, or something like that, it has everything it it they need, without the calcium. Or you could do scratch grains with free choice oyster shells for the oder girls. If you do that though, they will nedd some extra protien in the winter months, whne there are no bugs to eat.

3. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thank you, I will look into the purina feed.

4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Flock Raiser is the name you're looking for [​IMG]

5. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Thanks, I called Purina and that is what they told me. My feed store is ordering it for me and I will have it Wed.

6. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Do you have oyster shell on the side for them? The flock raiser doesn't have as much calcium, that's why everyone can eat it. Just make sure you have the oyster shell or other calcium source available for them too.

7. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Yes, thank you, I always have oyster shells available to the chickens. Once those younger ones get older and my 2nd coop gets finished, things will all fall into place I hope.

8. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    use flockraiser all poultry can eat it

9. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    That is what I am going to feed. Ordered it for me and will be in tomorrow.In the mean time, everybody is eating everybody else's food so I hope no harm will be done in the couple of days this has been going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by