1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding a mixed age group

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Want Less, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Today Ive had to play musical pens and separate one of our hens from the "adult" flock because she's getting over bred and becoming bottom of the totem pole with the rest of the girls, leaving her terrified all the time & head pecked. She is 13 months old. Right now I have her in the other pen with an 11 week old black copper marans pair (roo & girl) and they get on fine. The Marans are just more than half her size and they are still on chick starter. The hen is on laying crumbles.

Is there a happy medium feed-wise for this group? Is that even possible? I do have a small pen I can put just her in but being on her own stresses her so much and I dont want her to lose any more weight.

How would you feed them?

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome [​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have used the chick starter, and added oyster shell free choice. The little ones will not be too interested in the oyseter shell.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I feed my flock "All Flock" 18% protein feed, it's pretty much the same as Purina's Flock Raiser, in concept. Crushed oyster shell is out 24/7 free choice. I have too many different aged chickens to deal with segregating them by feed needs, especially since they range freely.

No problem at all with soft eggs, because the layers will take the oyster shell as needed.

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I too am feeding my mixed group Blue Seal Starter/Grower and provide oyster shells free-choice.

5. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Your hen can be fed the chick starter just fine and add oyster shell if you see a need. At the marans age though you can start to slowly switch over to a layer feed. Or offer both layer and chick starter. If you hen were mine, I'd leave her with the youngsters so she has a "flock". As long was they all get along, she will be less stressed with a flock then with out one. I would let her get some extra protein from the chick starter for a week or so then start the change over to layer with the younglings and her. I also would add sugar and vitamins and electrolytes to her water. That will help give her a boost from the stress she's been under and it won't hurt the marans.

6. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:Thank you everyone for your responses! I'll give that group starter like you guys suggested and put out some oyster shell for the hen if she wants it.

MustLoveHens... what kind of vitamins & electrolytes should I add to the water? And I assume they will be OK for the young Marans to drink too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by