Feeding a mixed flock of ducks, chickens, guineas

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
The recommendation from the local feed store is to keep everyone on BlueSeal Gamebird stater/grower. This has 22% protein and 4% fat. The older chickens are 10 months old and laying really well. (I provide oyster shell free choice) The younger chickens and ducks are between 17 and 21 weeks. One RIR and one Khaki Campbell have started laying. I am wondering if their diet is wrong. My other option is BlueSeal Growe-Cal. This has 15% protein abd 2.5% fat. Should I switch them or is the higher protein, higher fat ok?

I feed Purina Flock Raiser to all of the birds except the chickens. They get Layer Feed.
I wouldn't give chickens GameBird feed, it doesn't have what Layer does to support the need for extra calcium, protein, and etc.

My comments are going to be about opposite of Ducklover1. If you offer oyster shell on the side, the feed does not have to have any additional calcium. The ones that need the calcium for the egg shells will get that from the oyster shell. The others don't need it.

Last time I checked, 22% protein level in the Gamebird starter/grower is higher that the 16% protein in regular Layer so it will support their protein need for laying. I'm not familair with that specific brand, but I'm assuming the amino acids added, Lysine and Methionine, are about the same. Somewhere around 0.7 to 1.0 for Lysine and 0.25 to 0.4 for Methionine. It should be on the label.

I think you are OK with either feed. At those ages, they don't really need the higher protein stuff, but it won't hurt them. With your mix of birds, my preference would be around a 20% protein feed, but since I think you are raising them to be a lying flock, not a meat and laying flock, either should be OK. If you are raising some of them for meat, I'd go with the higher protein choice. With the 15% protein feed, your egg size might drop a little, but it should not be a drastic drop in size. The "recommendations" are for maximum efficency in growth and development related to cost and production. Poultry are pretty forgiving in their diet as long as you don't go to extremes. I don't consider either of those extremes.

Well, I'll put my two cents in. I think that 22% protein is too high for chickens and ducks not sure about guineas. For growing ducks it can reek havoc on their development. I have chickens and ducks(runners) and I feed Naturewise (Nutrena) All Flock. It is 18% protein. I was going to go with Flockraiser but since it just a mix of starter and layer, I figured what was the point. The Naturewise is a pellet, so less waste, but is about 1/3 the size of Layena's pellet. It is suitable for ducks, turkeys, geese and pheasant 8+ weeks and chickens also I think a little older on the chickens though. It does not have extra calcium which is why I wanted it because drakes don't need it. I used to put out oyster shell but they hardly ever touched it and I have no problems with soft shells. I get an egg a day from my chickens and ducks even in the heat and humidity here.

BlueSeal also makes Breeder Pellets 18% protein and 2.5% fat. This is from the web: A specifically designed poultry feed to promote egg production and optimum hatchability and higher chick survival rate, in the breeding flock, when fed as the only ration. Breeder Pellets are recommended for ducks, geese, turkeys, and exotics as well as chickens. Maybe this would be a good alternative.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the 22% is detrimental to their health in the long run. They are for eggs to sell and as pets. We do not plan to eat them or breed them. Thanks

Thanks....hadn't thought of contacting the company....
smile.png
Figured I could get all my answers here.
bow.gif
I just sent an email.

Back
Top Bottom