Feeding a mixed flock?

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by jenniferlamar70, Jul 8, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Cross posted due to no responses. we have young birds and older birds, chicks and even ducks. How do we do this and make sure everyone is getting the nutrients they need?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    All flock, grower, or flock raiser; with crushed oyster shell offered separately.

3. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The only feeds that are not appropriate for all ages and stages are medicated starter (should only be fed short-term) and layer feed (should only be fed to actively laying birds).
    There is no magic ingredient in layer feed that makes birds lay, and the calcium levels are extremely unhealthy for birds that aren't laying.

4. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    But are they really getting all the nutritional needs met solely by these 2 things. I just feel like this alone isn't meeting all their needs. Like our whole family eats vegetarian and we take vitamin supplements and just do whatever we can to eat nutritionally. What can we so for our chickens/ducks to keep them at their best? We already offer grower with oyster shells separately.. thanks. :)

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Grower is a nutritionally complete and balanced diet. No supplements needed. It is perfectly formulated with each essential nutrient and vitamin, in the proper amounts needed. Adding in other things may upset that precise balance.

6. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    So it's not like dog food then? Like one brand may be better then another or one may be known for being better quality?

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Regardless of the feed you purchase, whether it's Organic, GMO-free, or plain generic, it will still be a nutritionally complete diet. Same goes for dog food. Dog food (regardless of brand) contains all the nutrients needed. It's a complete diet.

8. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    That's debatable. Dog food may have what they need to survive but not all brands are nutritionally sound and that shows after years of being fed quality or poor quality food. Unfortunately the fda does not set the same standards in health for out animals as they do our own food. Company's can put as much junk as they want in it and call it what they want. I don't believe all foods are created equally. I have read quite a bit on here and lots of people make herb gardens or plant things that have the vitamins our lovelies need. Im sure some can be found in processed food but I can't believe it's more nutritionally sound then getting it from fresh things we grow ourselves. That would be like saying formula is better for babies then breastmilk. Artificial is seldom the healthier option to fresh and natural..

9. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    jenniferlamar70, you have some great questions! Do you raise a mixed flock or is your flock made up of egg-layers?

If you have all egg-laying birds (including your ducks), you may want to transition to a complete layer feed, like Purina[​IMG] Layena[​IMG]. Egg-laying birds require different nutrient levels (higher calcium for example), than non-laying birds. Layena[​IMG] also includes Oyster Strong[​IMG] System to provide the necessary calcium - no need to supplement! To read more about Layena[​IMG], check out this link: https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/layena/

If you have a mixed flock of egg and meat birds, Flock Raiser[​IMG] is a good option for you, as junebuggena mentioned. Flock Raiser is formulated to provide all the nutrients that growing, meat birds and mixed flocks require, in the correct amounts. This includes protein, vitamins, minerals, probiotics, prebiotics - and much more - to provide a complete and balanced diet. Oyster shells are a good supplement to include for your egg-layers. For more information on Flock Raiser[​IMG], check out this link: https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/flock-raiser/

We recommend feeding Flock Raiser[​IMG] or Layena[​IMG] as at least 90% of the birds' diets and then the remaining 10% can be treats and scraps. Any more than that can dilute the necessary nutrients. If the complete feed is making up 90% of the birds' diets, you are providing everything they need! Read more about balancing your birds' diet here: https://www.purinamills.com/find-an...ts-amp;-nbsp;snacks-are-they-good-for-my-hen/

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by