1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Adult birds and Younguns together.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coopdeville15, Jun 12, 2017.

1. coopdeville15

coopdeville15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Abita Springs, LA
    My growing pullets are housed and feed together with my adult birds. There currently is no practical way to separate their feeding. I was feeding the younguns chick starter crumbles and the adults layer pellets in separate feeders. The adults would/will raid the chick feeder and now that the pullets are nearly full sized, but not laying yet, they readily eat the adult layer food. They all have access to a large run where they eat what ever nature has to offer, plus the scratch that I throw out. Going "by the book", my pullets should probably still be on chick grower feed for another 6 weeks or so. Should I still be worrying about the food source/type, continue to offer both and not worry about who eats what, or what? There is free choice oyster shell and grit available. Everyone seems healthy and happy, but egg production is down a bit. The younger birds have been with the adults long enough for any "introduction stress" to have been resolved and pecking order issues are established.

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    They can all eat grower, as long as calcium is provided.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I am not at all concerned about my pullets eating layer any time after they have "got their cluck". While the standard answer is: never give layer feed to a bird that is not laying, I simply do not follow that advice. If excess calcium were such an issue, we would see lots of free range birds dropping dead from the amount of calcium ingested in the greens they eat. My whole flock stays on starter, until I switch the whole flock over to layer.

4. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I think one of the concerns with giving them layer too young is not enough protein, but I do agree that after about 5 months they don't need grower any more.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My birds are typically laying at 16 weeks. So, I'm more than happy to get them on the extra calcium between 12 - 16 weeks.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I feed everyone Flock Raiser, with oyster shell separately. It works for my babies, roosters, layers, and juveniles. Easy! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by