1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding adult laying hens organic starter feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bolelove, Jan 31, 2014.

1. bolelove

bolelove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    Is it ok if you feed my adult laying hens only organic starter feed and for how long, or is it better to maybe mix in some other type of food? like layer feed for e.g.

Thank you

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    They should be fine, I feed pretty much all my adult birds a 20% chick Starter, and have oyster shell on the side for the laying hens. I like having a little higher protein% since I don't worry that much if I feed them some scratch or treats etc about getting their protein% too low and slowing their egg laying etc. The biggest difference between Layer and Starter/Grower is the higher amount of Calcium in Layer, the other is the protein percentage. Most chick Starters are a little higher and why Starter is usually more expensive, protein is money and around 16% seems to be where the amount of protein evens out with egg production commercially.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by