1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding advice during motling

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kjfrogster41, Apr 1, 2012.

1. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    My RIR's have just started molting. They are approximately 8 months old. I feed them organic layer pellets and give them a morning breakfast mix of brown rice, veggies, sweet corn, pasta and occasional small curd cottage cheese. All food we feed them is organic. We also throw in some meal worms and sun flower seeds during the day and they are out most of the day, when there's no snow, foraging. Is there any thing else I should add to this mix when they are molting? [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Extra protein is good for feather development. You could add more cottage cheese and meal worms, or if they are laying and you have extra eggs you could scramble some eggs for them.

3. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    Thanks for your reply, ScratchnPeck. We all appreciate it. The girls are particularly pleased that you advocated for additional meal worms. Frankly, I think they have a bit of an addiction problem with those. I do try to keep the amount limited and don't feed them the worms too often but will step up the amount until they finish with their molts.

4. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I have one Barred Rock who lost all of her cushion (the area below her vent). I have been giving her and the two other girls a bit of canned tuna in the mornings. Within a week of starting that, the BR's feathers started coming back in. I'm not giving them a lot - probably 2 TBS to share between 3 birds. I was surprised how quickly her feathers came back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by