Feeding Alfalfa Hay

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tropical Chickies, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Is anyone feeding their chickens alfalfa hay? I wasn't sure if chickens would eat this stuff or not.

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Fresh when I have it or horse cubes...especially in the winter makes a nice green treat when there's snow on the ground.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I toss a flake of alfalfa in the run a couple times a week, in the winter I give them one inside the coop on stormy days. They love to scratch it apart and eat all the little leaves and the leftover stems give them something to scratch through in the run too.

4. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I feed mine fresh alfalfa (summer) and alfalfa hay (winter)

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I give mine alfalfa leaves every morning. That is their second most favorite treat after grasshoppers! [​IMG]

6. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Thanks everyone! I had no idea that chickens would eat alfalfa. I had came across some pics online of chickens and in the background I noticed the alfalfa and thought that would be good to give them, but wasn't sure if they actually ate it or not. I didn't want to buy a bale at $18 and find out they didn't eat it.

7. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    I have fed chickens alfalfa hay for probably 25 years - they do love to scratch through it in the winter when there is no grass...or if you do not have grass it is a great supplement. Soaked cubes work well too. I start my babies when they are about 4 weeks old!

8. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What do you mean by cubes?
    I was thinking of buying a bale and putting it in their run($24 here)... Figured they could scratch it, eat it, and maybe sit on it...
    Good idea? Yes or no...

9. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:Alfalfa cubes are bought in a bag at the feed store, probably comes in 25lb bag. When you soak it in water it breaks down. I can't believe the price of alfalfa...glad I don't have cows and horses to feed...I would need a second job just to buy hay!

I am going to try the cubes and get a few flakes of alfalfa off of my sister (she feeds this to her horses), just want to make sure they like it before I invest in a bale and cubes.

10. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Wow I can't believe the price of alfalfa where some of you live. It's $3.50 a bale here. A friend of mine grows it and its beautiful hay. I never thought about giving it to the chickens though. I'll have to try it. Right now they get enough extras from the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by