Feeding an uneven pair - Pekin duck and chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pfd, May 17, 2009.

1. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    To make a long story short(er):

At my feed store I saw a pekin duckling with a broken leg (04/01/09). I talked to the owner and he said he would dispose of it later. Since he knows what a sucker I am he asked if I wanted it. As I was about to leave another employee asked if I would be interested in taking an (americana?) chick too since all her tail feathers are picked out. Well, I left the store with both babies.

I put them in my spare bathroom, covered the floor with doggie wee pads and fed them starter food (the one that both can eat) and of course plenty of fresh water and very tiny bits of lettuce.

Now, 6 weeks later with a nightmare for a bathroom, I moved both outside into a dog kennel (8'x4'). We put plywood on the top and north/west side for sun/rain protection. I put half of a large dog house (up-side-down) filled with hay in the kennel and a flat plastic container filled with water and one stepping stone for texture to get in and out. I'm feeding both on a tupperware lid and they have a waterer as well.

Two days ago I went back to the feed store to ask what else we need for food and I purchased chicken scratch, some more starter and the oyster grit (powder). I am currently mixing the scratch with the starter but both prefer the starter feed. I have not started using the oyster stuff since I wasn't sure if that is safe for the duck?

The first night when both were outside the chicken perched on a broom handle but since then she just cuddles up with the duck. I would like to expand the area they can go to but am affraid the chicken will fly out without a top on the area.

I am completely new to this (and hubby isn't too thrilled about it either). I never owned a feathered critter (I'm usually into dogs, cats and horses). So keep in mind that you are talking to chicken/duck illiterate person [​IMG] .

I just want them to have a happy life here. An occational egg would be nice but no dinner plans for these babies [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Here are some pics of when they came (btw the duck is completely healed and uses the leg 100%) I have to take new ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Put the oyster shell in a different container. They will eat as needed. My oldest duck is laying so she needs it. The drake and the little ducks do not. If it was mixed in the feed, it could cause problems for them.

You will need some niacin for the duck. They need more than chickens. Brewers yeast tablets crushed and sprinkled on the chicken feed works great for ducks...but I am not sure if that is bad for the chicken. Maybe a little dish for that too???

3. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks for the info. So I assume I'm on the right track with the other feed then. I'm going to try to get some niacin.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds good so far [​IMG]

5. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I think it is good that you ended up with them.

6. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Awww I just love odd couple buddies. Hopefully you have two females that will supply you with eggs.

As my chickens and ducks became adults I feed them the same feed. It's an all purpose feed.

My chickens are not old enough to start laying eggs. When they are I will give them layer feed and the ducks will remain on there feed.

7. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    Awww, I am so glad you picked them up and saved them. They will reward you greatly in the future. Ducks also like leafy vegys and the chick will too but ducks need more.

8. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Thank you all for the info. I'm not sure if the duck is a male or female, which doesn't really matter to me as long as she/he is friendly. I have lots of reading and learning to do [​IMG]

9. Shelbycobra

Shelbycobra New Egg

Dec 9, 2008
    After doing alot of reading, it seems that unmedicated turkey feed is safest for your duckling. Medicated chick food can be poisonous, (according to resources). I mix turkey food with powdered brewers yeast 1cup to 10# of feed. My chickens love this to although I still give them start and grow. Ducks must have water to eat or they will choke. Ducks need much more water than chickens. Mix fresh greens in the water bowl for your duck (cut in small pieces) and you will have one happy duck.
    Good luck!
    Renee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by