feeding and antibiotic question for injured rooster

Froggybottom

Hatching
9 Years
May 20, 2010
Hello everyone, I posted the following question earlier but have a few questions to add: I am new to chickens and have mined your forum for invaluable information. I was hoping to get some more input on my newest problem. Last Friday a trio of dogs attacked my flock, killing 4 and plucking a large amount of feathers from my rooster. At first he seemed ok other than bald and scared but the next morning he couldn't lift his head up, had a beak full of mucus and seemed feverish. I brought him in, started 1 m.l. of LS 50 twice a day and gave him water and food with a syringe several times per day after clearing out the mucus. By Tuesday he was perking up, had some control over his head and neck, even started eating and drinking on his own. Wednesday he was free of mucus and was walking around a bit. I am thrilled with his progress so far as I thought he was a goner for sure that first morning. My question is: although he seems to be eating and drinking on his own, he does a lot better when I hold his head up high. I am also afraid he is not getting enough food, after eating for a brief period he acts exhausted. I had quit feeding him with a syringe for fear of aspiration. He has lost so much weight it seems like he should be eating far more than the hand full of layer crumbles he is getting down. I have tried to tempt him with scrambled eggs, grapes, yogurt, baby food, greens, and the like but he will only eat the crumbles. I have been giving him pedylite, vitamin E and adding ACV to his drinking water. His comb is red again, his eyes clear, and as stated above all the respiratory issues seem to have gone away. It is just his weight and eating that is concerning. He has had 7 full days of the LS 50, is it safe to stop... also when can he go back to the coop? He is looking healthy again, if scrawny and his mobility is returning to normal. Will his feathers grow back in, he is down to 3 tail feathers and lost a patch on his back. Thanks for any response, I just want to give him the best chance for survival.

Congratulations on the success of your treatment so far! It sounds like your fellow is really improving.

It sounds like you've cured the infection, so I would be comfortable with stopping the antibiotics after 7 days. If you think he will continue to eat and drink well, you can put him back in with the others. Company improves healing in chickens, I think.

HOWEVER, be very careful to watch the birds after you reintroduce him! They might decide to pick on him because of the injuries. He's probably too fragile to stand a lot of feather picking right now, so be ready to reisolate him if needed. Before you send him back, either spray him with Blu Kote or rub Bag Balm on him. That should make the others less likely to pick.

Sometimes lost feathers grow back rather quickly (a few weeks). You may have to wait until his normal yearly molt, though. What age is the rooster? When did he molt last?

He was given to my son by a teacher at school...I think he is a little over a year old and looks like a black sex link. We have only had him for a couple of months so not sure about the molt. I will try the bluKote and sending him back outside. He is acting a little lonely. Although he has never been aggressive toward us he has never been overly friendly, after this he will either be a pet or we will never be able to catch him again;-) He is such a fabulous protector for the hens and such a character we would really hate to lose him. Thanks so much for your help.

Hard Luck Chuck returned to his ladies to day and seems in fine spirits...so far so good. Thanks for the advice TurkeyMountain.

Back
Top Bottom