Feeding and watering frustration

easttxchick

Lone Star Call Ducks
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
I have tried every container, feeder and waterer, that I own for my turkey.
He hefts his big turkey butt onto the galvanized or plastic containers and knocks them over constantly. I've tried using the black rubber bowls, but again, he THINKS he can stand on the side of it-of course, it flips and dumps the food. He wades through his water bowl like he's some kind of heron or something so it's always nasty.
What are the best vessels for feeding and watering this maniac?
Love this bird to pieces, but he is frustrating the crud out of me with this!

We are using a LeBistro dog water dish and it seems to be working well...

25270_le_bistro.jpg

I set it on top of a cinder block in the corner of the pen and it seems to withstand all their crazy antics.

Good luck

Quote:
Get a one gallon bucket and a galvanized pan. Drill a fe one inche holes around the bottom of the bucket. Rivet the pan to the bottom of the bucket. Fill the bucket from the top and hang it from a tree about eight inches off the ground. Works great. You can do something very similar for a hanging water dish.
As an alternate feeder type get a five foot piece of three inch PVC and a elbow. Get a screw on top for the other end fill with food and as he eats the food will refill the elbow. You can tie strap it to a fence or screw to a tree you can do water the same way but the top has to be airtight to hold vacuum. Once the bird drinks below the elbow it allows waster to refill from the column.

Quote:
Get a one gallon bucket and a galvanized pan. Drill a fe one inche holes around the bottom of the bucket. Rivet the pan to the bottom of the bucket. Fill the bucket from the top and hang it from a tree about eight inches off the ground. Works great. You can do something very similar for a hanging water dish.
As an alternate feeder type get a five foot piece of three inch PVC and a elbow. Get a screw on top for the other end fill with food and as he eats the food will refill the elbow. You can tie strap it to a fence or screw to a tree you can do water the same way but the top has to be airtight to hold vacuum. Once the bird drinks below the elbow it allows waster to refill from the column.

Thank you. For some reason, hanging something never even crossed my mind...this is my first experience with turkeys and this guy is a huge learning curve for me.
One thing he has taught me, though, is I definitely want some more.

Quote:

Thank you. For some reason, hanging something never even crossed my mind...this is my first experience with turkeys and this guy is a huge learning curve for me.
One thing he has taught me, though, is I definitely want some more.

Is he a broad breasted bird or a heritage breed?

He is, apparently a Bronze. Again, to show my lack of knowledge, I don't know how they classify him.

Are you in North TX? Um never mind I just saw your tag line eAst tx chick. You might want to go see coalby he is in east Texas and has many birds when you get ready for more.

Last edited:
We use the standard hanging galvanized feeder; raised the ht. of the lip by duct taping flat rubber gasket around outside edge (don't beak as much feed out). It touches inside wall of shed (won't swing to and fro). 3gal. `rubber' hog bowl on milk crate, backed into corner of fencing, for water (poults like to perch on edge but even big tom sparring matches haven't tipped it over).

Quote:
Thank you for addressing that point, I had forgotten to mention that is another part of my frustration.

Back
Top Bottom