Feeding and watering while on vacation

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sierranomad, Feb 2, 2015.

1. sierranomad

sierranomad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    Greetings:

I haven't owned chickens since I was a kid, and am thinking about getting a few. But am wondering if you can give leave them for a few days by giving them extra food and water?

Thank you,

JOn

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Yes. This is why a lot of people like either treadle feeders or silo-type pipe feeders and automatic waterers or 5G (and up) buckets with nipples. If you design your set up with the occasional short vacation in mind, you'll be fine.

3. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    Thank you!

4. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    If you look around on the forum, you'll see some pretty amazing solutions (many of them very cheap!).

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    All absolutely true - *but* - I still prefer to have someone pop in and put eyes on our animals during an absence because even with the best laid plans and feeders/waterers that should be just fine for the number of days one is away, we all know that if something is going to happen it will be at the worst possible time....so that the ONE time that there is a failure of that waterer that has kept the birds in water for a week at a time will suddenly leak on day #1, leaving the flock high and dry for the rest of your time away. Because our livestock is confined and would have no option to seek out water or food elsewhere if/when something were to happen, it gives me peace of mind to know that the longest any of them would be without would be that period between daily visits by our neighbor/friend/whomever we are swapping "farm watch" with at that particular time. Feed/water aside, it is also assuring to me to know that if something were to arise as far as an emergency situation (illness, injury, etc) that animal will be discovered sooner rather than later so that appropriate steps can begin.

6. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    Thanks to youboth. That does make sense. My parents live next door, so that should not be a problem.

7. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop

8. fancynancycoop

fancynancycoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2014
    But isn't it best to not have food or water in actual coop? Where would you feed them from since I'm assuming you leave them locked securely in the coop!!???? Please educate me.

9. fancynancycoop

Dec 15, 2014
    So you do out a treadle feeder and Wateter inside the coop when gone for few days then?

10. fancynancycoop

Dec 15, 2014
    Provide info on how best this is done. Move the Treadle feeder into coop and waterer into coop when gone. Otherwise outside in run. ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by