feeding and watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chad s, May 9, 2011.

1. chad s

chad s Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Ok, going to be moving the chicks to their coop soon. I am trying to work out a feeding and watering system. I think I got the details worked out but have a couple questions. The coop is about 20" off the ground and fenced in so they have full run under coop. There is also an attached fenced run to the coop with a simple roof cover it. Where is the best place to feed and water? In the coop itself or outside? If outside, do you continue that through the winter? I live in central Pa and we get some cold winter weather from time to time. I plan on letting the chickens have free run of the coop and fenced in area all the time. When we are at home they will also be allowed to free range. Any input would be great. Thanks

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Either can be OK, it's your choice as to what works for you.
    Some people worry that outside, the food will attract more predators
    Inside more of a mess, especially from water.
    Mine is inside.

In Pa, you need to think about water in the winter, when you get that cold weather.

Imp

3. chad s

chad s Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks. yes Ive been thinking about winter watering. Have not decided yet what to do. Leaning towards an electric heat pan under a metal water. I would like to use an automated type water for the non freezing times though. I like the outside feeding/watering for the mess control but was unsure .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by