Feeding and watering.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenboy190, Nov 27, 2013.

1. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Not sure this is the right place to post this.I was just wondering can you make your own heated water base? I was thinking I saw some other people do that and what can you feed your chickens for extra protein and to make their egg shells thicker?

Thanks for any replies :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's a lot of research that shows fermented feed and probiotics make thicker shells and higher shell weights.
    Offering crushed oyster shell in a separate container for the hens to choose when the egg enters the shell gland works better than layer feed. The larger calcium particles remain in the upper digestive tract longer and make contact with the calcium absorption points in the intestine during the night when the hen is sleeping and the shell is forming.

So simply switching to a higher protein grower feed and oyster shell on the side accomplishes both.
    Fish and meat scraps, tuna, mackerel, mealworms, crickets, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, BOSS are all high in protein.
    Instead of mixed scratch grains or corn, switch to wheat, oats and BOSS will up the protein.

There are a lot of posts here about making heated bases. An engine block heater between some pavers works well.

3. chickenboy190

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks!! I have used oyster shell before.So I will continue to use it and I do give them scraps and stuff.I also give them egg shells also.

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I use the Admiral Precision 250 watt bird bath heater. All metal construction, bullet proof. I just drop it into the supply bucket when the cold weather starts and take it out in the spring.

Chris

5. chickenboy190

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Oh,okay I'll check it out :)

6. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    My thoughts exactly! Why spend a lot of time and effort on a project that may not work or could be dangerous. You might save $5.00 or so just spend the money plug it in, it works properly and done!!

7. chickenboy190

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks !![​IMG]

8. Cheryl1948

Cheryl1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Randleman, NC
    Did I read somewhere along the way that we shouldn't put water with apple cider vinegar in a galvanized waterer? Is it bad for the chicks or just the container? Can't remember exactly what I read about that. Thanks.

9. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Both. It reacts with the metal and creates rust which is bad for your birds.

10. Cheryl1948

Cheryl1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Randleman, NC
    Thanks. It is a little chick waterer and brand new, so not rusted yet. But, will put regular water in it. I have always given my chickens water with ACV w/the mother in plastic waterers. The chicks are coming out into the pen with their mother all of the time and have started drinking out of the big girls waterer, so I may remove the little one altogether. Thank you for responding.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by