Feeding and Wild Birds

jennjenn6

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Eugene, OR
I have 3-month old chicks and they are out in their covered run all day. It's a dog kennel. I covered the top with black netting and a portion is covered with a tarp for shade. The last few days a flock of wild birds, including some starlings have shown up and are getting in and eating the food.
barnie.gif

I've been searching everywhere to look for ideas to keep them out. I was thinking of wrapping the kennel in deer netting. I can NOT afford hardware cloth for the upper part of the run. I have it to keep the coop itself secure and they are always locked up at night. I used chicken wire along the bottom 2 feet to keep them from sticking their heads out
smile.png

any ideas? suggestions? ANYTHING!!!

I'd use the deer netting. It will keep the birds out- some might get tangled the first time they try to come in but after that they will learn. If you have more chicken wire you can use that- the smaller size stuff will keep out most birds too.

good luck!

I have 3-month old chicks and they are out in their covered run all day. It's a dog kennel. I covered the top with black netting and a portion is covered with a tarp for shade. The last few days a flock of wild birds, including some starlings have shown up and are getting in and eating the food.
barnie.gif

I used some weed-block fabric (the type used in landscaping) to cover part of the run for a little extra shade. It's pretty cheap but if you have to cover too much area, it will make a pretty dark coop/run.

Is moving the feed inside the coop an option?
They just fly in and then there is wild bird poop inside!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions
smile.png

The deer block is only about $20 for a 100' roll (7' tall) at Home Depot. I can just pick up some zip ties I think and attach it.

Has anyone used "flashing" tape around the run to keep out predators? I'm afraid it would scare the chickens too! lol

Back
Top Bottom