Feeding antibiotics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DukesMum, Sep 20, 2016.

1. DukesMum

DukesMum New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Hi all
    Following on from an attack, my vet prescribed some antibiotics for 2 of my ducks. "Really easy, pop it in their mouth and they will swallow". Nope! Lots of kicking, squirming and spitting out! Does anyone have any tips to make it easier for me and less stressful for them?

Thanks

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Is it liquid? Should be for ducks. In that case, I put it on a tiny piece of bread and they eat it up fast like a treat. :)

3. DukesMum

DukesMum New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    It's pill form

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Try wrapping it in a piece of bread and compress between your fingers so it's not too bulky... half if necessary. If it's a capsule, empty it onto jam and bread or mix into a mash. I worm my cats by spreading a little butter on to very thin ham slivers, rolling it up and it just goes straight down.... not sure if you can feed ham to ducks. I give the cats one or two blanks before I give the pill laden treat and it never fails to go down. Wish worming horses was so easy!

Anyway, I hope the above gives you some ideas.

Good luck

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Wow, they gave you pills for a duck? And they thought you just pop it in and they swallow?? lol! I'm guessing they don't treat many birds there. ;) Anyway, rebrascora up there has some good suggestions. Ducks generally love bread (even though it's not good for them and should never be given as a treat; I only use it for meds), so I think hiding it in a little piece of bread should work well. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)

6. DukesMum

DukesMum New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Thanks for the tips! I hid them in pea shells in a handful of peas! One fell for it but the other wouldn't. I had to force it down her [​IMG] Poor thing she's so ill.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Pill are commonly prescribed for ducks, chickens, turkeys, etc.

Open bill, insert pill on their right side, push in with finger. Maybe I ought to make a video of that.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Edited to add:
    Not my video, but that's how I do it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by