Feeding apples a week before butchering

Sabz

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Quebec, Canada
I am trying something for this last week before butchering the meaties!

I am continuing the fermented feed, but added apples to it ;) I gave them apples in the chicken run and they ate them all within a week (I bought apples that hunters use, so it's really cheap, 5$ for a really large bag). My apple trees didn't produce this year..

Anyhow. It didn't look like every chick was eating off of the "complete" apples, so the last 2 bags I put in the food processor and mixed it with the fermented feed!

It looks yummy, smells good and all the chicks eat very well. So I will give them apples every day and see if that makes a difference in the taste of the meat.

I am not sure if apples have a taste that is strong enough to influence the meat, but we'll see :) They will have eaten a huge quantity in the last 2 weeks.

that sounds great!
fattening them up like little piggies!
i had no apples this year either.
i cant wait for your experiment results!
tammy

Oh so even in the US it was a bad year for apples? Here I didn't get any, while last year I could supply the whole office with apples for about a month! My friends and neighbours also had a very bad year with their apples. I hope it means that we'll get more next year :D

The babies are getting huge, it is time to process. I am getting almost afraid to feed them LOL. They are roosters now, with the magnificent tail in the air and the big red combs and the nice signing in the morning. Can't wait to see the weight once butchered. They are not cornish X, they are some kind of cross bred that grow a lot slower than the Cornish. They are brown, yellow, white, red.. very nice little chicks! Very different from having Cornish X.

I have a lot of mint in the garden, I also thought of trying this next time around!
There is a food chief here in Quebec that fed either apples or maple syrup to his pig before butchering.
I am sure he did apples. Then he talked about maple syrup.. not sure if he ever got to it. It sure would produce a high price meat..
I wrote on his facebook to know if they had the results ;)

post some pics before you process them.
cool.png

maple syrup, huh?
well, id rather have my syrup for me!
we even drink it before its boiled all the way down
love.gif

I couldn't imagine feeding syrup to my animals either!!
But I guess this guy has too much syrup and doesn't care to sell it.

I will post picture :)

They are done and waiting for the rigor to pass!

I didn't take pictures ;( We were in a rush, it was -2 outside and it started to snow! lol. So we were not really comfortable outside, we did it as fast as possible.

But I have a video from earlier! And still have my rooster that I could show you :)

Here they are:

I liked that they were all sorts of colors :)

I'd love to be able to feed my meat birds onions and garlic before I butchered--think what a time saver it would be seasoning them
wink.png

They are done and waiting for the rigor to pass!

I didn't take pictures ;( We were in a rush, it was -2 outside and it started to snow! lol. So we were not really comfortable outside, we did it as fast as possible.

But I have a video from earlier! And still have my rooster that I could show you :)

Here they are:

I liked that they were all sorts of colors :)
cute video!
-2 degrees?
whoa!
th.gif

let us know how they taste!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom