Feeding areas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fowlplay, Apr 27, 2008.

1. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Hubby and I are getting ready to start building our coop, but are still in a quandry about what to do for a feeding area. We want to make sure the water especially, is raised to aid in keeping the hay/shavings out of it.
    What do you guys do? We're in desperate need of ideas and suggestions! Pics, if you have them, would be a bonus!
    Help!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First, recognize that chickens are chickens and you're realistically not going to be able to keep ALL floor crud out of waterers/feeders. I swish my waterer out daily (into a small basin, which I thn dump) to remove bits of yutz that have gotten into it, and wipe or scrub it (depending how it looks) every time I refill it. I've only used hanging or wall-mounted feeders, and not had any problem with anything at all getting into them.

So, you can use hanging feeders/waterers (swinging may be an issue in a crowded coop, I dunno - I don't have that problem, but I expect a floor tether system could be worked out if you needed).

Or wall-mounted, although the only wall-mounted waterers I know of are either the automatic waterer type or are small and homemade.

Or a lot of people, including me, will just set the waterer up on a pile of boards or bricks. I do a sort of 2-tiered pile, with the bottom level about even with the top of the bedding, and the top arranged so that when a hen is standing on the botttom tier the water is at about the height of her back. I'm pretty happy with the arrangement. (*Any* kind of waterers and feeders should be set at about back height, however they're rigged up, to minimize waste and contamination).

Some people also put the waterer on a wire or plastic mesh platform, so there is a larger somewhat shavings-free area around it. And it keeps the birds from walking in any spills (which you can then easily clean up by removing the grid to get under it). I have tried this -- maybe I have used too small a mesh size, but I found that shavings mostly just got piled up on top of it til it was covered and did no good. I think that is a problem with *me* not with the method tho [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

3. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    Thanks for the info Pat! Very helpful and very much appreciated [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by