Feeding at 18 weeks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gardenlady2, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Gardenlady2

Gardenlady2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    I'm a first-timer. My chickens will be 18 weeks old in a few days. No eggs yet, but I hear they could start any time now.
    I have maybe a little less than a weeks worth of "grower" feed left, and I have an unopened bag of "layer" feed. Do I need to buy more "grower" feed to give them until they actually lay eggs? The package says to feed the grower feed until 18 weeks or onset of laying.
    Would it be okay to start feeding them the "layer" feed next week even if they aren't laying yet?
    I have 3 Welsummers, 4 Dominiques, 1 Delaware, and 3 roosters.

2. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    I started layer feed when I got my first egg (21 weeks old)
    Although I was out of grower so I just bought layer, during this time.
    I've been feeding it to all of them and they all have started to lay the past few weeks.

I would say Finnish up what you have then switch over.

There is no right or wrong answer...

1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I agree, for that age you might as well switch over.

4. janiewyatt45

janiewyatt45 New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    I'm completely knew to the website, so I'm not sure how to post to certain threads (other than commenting on an older one, like this one) Sorry for the inconvenience, but can I get some help pretty please?? (Here is my previous question, which I was told was asked on the wrong forum thread maybe.)
    "Okay, so we just switched our 23 meat market broilers to "Honor Show Chow- Turkey Starter" because it has a higher protein percentage (30%) and because I've heard good talk about it! But.. Does it give my chickens too much protein and not enough fat to finish them off with? Maybe I should give them extra bacon or chicken fat/grease on top of the feed? Or should I just wait til they finish the "30% Protein- Honor Show Chow- Turkey Starter" bag and then follow up with some "Turkey or Chicken Finisher" until the day of show??? So many questions, so little time! ONLY a little over 2 weeks before show time! PLEASE HELPPPP!!!!"

5. Gardenlady2

Gardenlady2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    To post your question, go to the forum you want, and then click "start a new thread". It's near the too of the page. That way you can put your own subject line in, which will show up on the forum listing. This way people who may be able to help you can see your question.
    Otherwise, the only people who see it are people who click on my thread about feeding 18 week old chickens.
    Best of luck to you!

6. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Feed Grower with a supplement of calcium on the side. This will avoid health problems because the ones that start laying will have access to calcium without damaging the ones that haven't. This is also good if you have a mixed age flock. When you are sure all birds are laying switch to layers. Keep calcium on the side even with layer feed available

The benefit of feeding growers with a side of calcium vs layers

• It's a well rounded feed
    • Too much calcium in a birds diet will led to kidney/liver
    • A study revealed birds given layer feed too soon could have calcium metabolism problems later

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You can feed the layer at 18 weeks with no problem.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Much easier to just feed grower or flock raiser and offer oyster shell on the side for the layers.

9. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    We're not saying it will cause a problem with a laying hen. It causes problems in the late bloomers. If you are unsure if all hens are laying, it's best to do grower and with a side of calcium.

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have never found it to cause a problem with any pullet 18 weeks or older. There are so many rules on this board that I am glad I never heard of 21 years ago IMHO. Always have most pullets laying by 20-22, low mortality & healthy roosters & hens. No "why aren't my hens laying at 30+ weeks" etc. and no my hens are sick etc. Just saying you are not going to mess up pullets feeding layer at 18 weeks. JMHO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by