feeding at nite?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by creative.hortic, Nov 1, 2010.

1. creative.hortic

creative.hortic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    i have 6 week old chicks that i have been keeping in the coop at nite with a heat light. it gets to 32 outside and 52 in the coop. do i need to have water and food in there at nite?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    do i need to have water and food in there at nite?

I'd keep it there all the time if they are under lights, especially the water​

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Anytime I have chicks under lights I have food/water 24/7. When those heat lights stop, the 24/7 stops. Then, food and water only in the run. This is for the prevention of mold and unsanitary conditions in the coops.

4. creative.hortic

creative.hortic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    thankyou for the help!!! anybody know when to take the heat lamp out? how old do they have to be to take the freezing weather?

5. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    My girls are about 7 weeks old and in their coop. The last couple nights were about 40'F inside. I've reduced the heat quite quickly the past few weeks to prepare them for winter weather. They seem fine and are excited to go out in the run even at those temps every morning. Just watch them closely and good luck!

6. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG] , 8 weeks, then it's lights, food, and water...OUT.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    how old do they have to be to take the freezing weather?

Age doesn't matter so much as long as they are fully feathered​

8. yelim

yelim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    Am I to understand that no feed or water in coop? I have 2 feeders and a waterer in my coop. Do they need to be removed at night?

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I leave the food & water in my coop 24/7. I also keep another waterer in the run.

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I keep all water outside in the yard, but I keep the food in the coop, away from (most) of the wild birds. I also feed late in the evening, right before lights out so they come back to roost there at night. They often free-range in the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by