Feeding Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MSBG, May 15, 2009.

1. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    My chicks are going on 3 weeks old, can I feed them things like cooked rice, uncooked oatmeal things like that? I ask because I had some cooked rice & they loved it, but don't want to give them too much until I'm sure it won't harm them.

Yes I'm a new chick parent & love it, they are such curious little critters. I just want to do it all right so that I don't harm them.

I also got 3 ducks at the same time I got the chicks, the ducks are so scared that I have not been able to bond with them no matter how hard I try. They have been elusive & skidish from day one & even though I have been as loving, careful & gentle as possible they haven't come around. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Bettie

2. Shay1327

Shay1327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Franklinville, NY
    I can't really help you with the chick question. I have never given my chicks rice or uncooked oatmeal (although they do love cooked oatmeal with grit mixed in).

But I have the same problem with my 3 wk old ducks. They act like I'm murdering them everytime I pick them up. I got them when they were almost two weeks so I missed the imprinting stage. They are starting to relax a little when they see me (as long as I'm not picking them up), I think they realize human is good, she brings treats. I almost named my two ducks "Drama" & "Queen" after their reaction to any human contact instead of "Abbott" & "Costello".

3. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Thanks for the response. I feel a little better but I am so confused as to why they are like this. I was wondering if they had a bad experience from hatch to the store & people hovering above them in the store & that imprint has caused them to be so scared.
    Yes, the same here, if I don't approach them as if to pick them up they aren't so panic stricken now. I feel so bad for them. Maybe someone here will be albe to help us both out.
    Thanks again for responding.

:) Bettie

4. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Bettie,

An occasional treat is fine but don't forget to offer them grit as well.
    [​IMG]

BTW:
    Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  5. Shay1327

Shay1327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Franklinville, NY
    I'm not that worried about it. I don't expect them to be lap ducks, that's why I have Silkies!!!

6. C_Dzchicks

C_Dzchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Adding to Jersey Bird Lover's post, a little is fine as long as they have grit. You don't want their "scratch" (treat) diet more than say 5-10% of their daily diet (in reality its very hard for you to measure this %, but suffice it to say that they can have "a few treats occasionally" The reason being this:

Right now they are in double overtime producing feathers, each feather being roughly 85% protein AND they are growing which requires a lot of protein. Because of this, if you look on their starter/grower feed, you will see it has a very high %protein (~18-20%) and if you start filling their bellies with things low in protein, like rice, it's going to have an impact on their growth process. This process is important too. For instant, if you give them layer feed at too early of an age, though they start laying earlier, they will lay fewer eggs over their lifetime than if they had received it at the right age. I digress. Small amounts of rice is fine, with grit. Even better (in small amounts, still) is hard boiled eggs (because it has protein) and that does not require grit. Hope that helps!

7. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    You all are awesome, thanks for the warm welcome! Great advice & info for a new chick mom.

As far as the 'grit' I did buy some but the package said to wait until their 10 weeks old or older; so is it really okay to give it to them now?

Well as far as treats go I will stick to the higher protein snacks for sure.

[​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    that is a really normal response to a big human at that age too. My six week olds are now following me like puppies but at three weeks they suddenly decided I was related to a hawk.

9. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Bettie!!! This is an amazing place to find all the support, info and everything else about chickens that you will ever need! Have fun with your chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by