feeding babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovinlife, Jul 4, 2010.

1. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

Silly question: If I were to leave a chick with her mama, how would the chick get food?

I have laying pellets available for the hen, and she eats them. The nest is in a 7" deep dish pan, if the baby were to jump out, it wouldn't be able to get back in. I removed baby #1. Baby #2 is in the nest now. Mama hen is much more protective of this chick, they were hatched 5 days apart. I hesitate to leave the chick with her beyond tomorrow because I don't know how the chick would get nourishment. Mama hen is still sitting on 10 eggs.

I guess I just need to know it's best to remove the chick and make mama mad. How would this normally happen? Would mama feed the chick somehow?

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    It is fine to feed the hen starter/grower I think, it will help since it has higher protien, and you can offer a side dish of oyster shell if you have any.

3. cbbantams

cbbantams Songster

May 11, 2009
    South
    Quote:

4. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

Alright, I told the hen tonight that I would be taking her baby away tomorrow. She'll just have to deal with it. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I haven't had the heart to take my broody Buffy's four eggs away from her, even though they should have hatched by now if they were gonna. She has the one chick that hatched 8 days ago.

I have a chick waterer and chick starter feed within five inches of Buffy's nest. I also leave her treats. So baby gets chick starter and water and momma is fed as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by