Feeding Baby chicks along with the adult chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiebabyfluff, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Do the chicks have to be fed seperatly from the adult chickens when they are all in the same coop? Will it hurt them if they get into the layer feed and eat it? What is the best way to keep the feed seperate? Thank you for any adivse

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    just put both ages on chick feed and offer oyster shells on the side, the medication won't hurt the older chickens so long as they have a source of calcium (oyster shells) and I wouldn't let the chickies eat layer feed because they might get an overdose of calcium. hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:this helps alot ty you so much for sharing !! :eek:)

4. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    It is recommended that you do not eat the eggs of hens on medicated starter feed. At least, it was recommended to me.

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is correct. The extra protein in chick feed will be okay for adults, but it should not be medicated. If you feel you must feed medicated chick feed, you can put it where only the babies can get to it. You can put it under a shelf too low for a full-grown chicken or put wire around it with openings just big enough for the chicks to get through, but not the adults.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    In medicated feed the medication is amprollium which is in the Starter or Starter/Grower and helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed is if you have any allergies to Sulfa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by