Feeding baby chicks egg yolks?

Emilykb15

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
I’ve heard mixed things on feeding egg yolks to chicks. I know it is high in nutrients and can be good for chicks. How old do chicks need to be before you feed them egg yolks or other treats that are not their typical chick feed? Does it matter if it is hard boiled egg yolk or scrambled?
Any info would be much appreciated. Just trying to learn more :)

I’ve heard mixed things on feeding egg yolks to chicks. I know it is high in nutrients and can be good for chicks. How old do chicks need to be before you feed them egg yolks or other treats that are not their typical chick feed? Does it matter if it is hard boiled egg yolk or scrambled?
Any info would be much appreciated. Just trying to learn more :)
I've fed eggs to 2 day old chicks as a nutrient boost. It doesn't matter if they are scrambled or boiled and mashed. Just don't put anything else in them. It's good for an occasional treat and would be one of the non-starter food items that wouldn't require grit to be in the gizzard.

I've fed eggs to 2 day old chicks as a nutrient boost. It doesn't matter if they are scrambled or boiled and mashed. Just don't put anything else in them. It's good for an occasional treat and would be one of the non-starter food items that wouldn't require grit to be in the gizzard.
I am currently giving them grit already, just because of their food and bedding. One of my chicks had an issue with pasty butt on two of the days but that seems to (hopefully) have passed. Do you know if feeding egg yolk will worsen that all?

I just fed my 2 week old chicks mashed up hard boiled egg and they're going crazy over it. Yippee!!! I did add a bit of grit to it. I hope no pasty butt shows up again! 🤪

Do you know if feeding them egg yolk would increase the chance for pasty butt?

Back
Top Bottom