Feeding Baby chicks medicated or not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by julieleonard, Jan 25, 2013.

1. julieleonard

julieleonard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Brooksville Florida
    what do i feed my new chicks medicated or not?
    thank you

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    My opinion, medicated is better but pointless if they aren't somewhere where they can come in contact with Coccidiosis parasite. The point is essentially that the medicated starter slows down their exposure to help them to slowly develop immunity/resistance. If they are in a squeaky clean indoor brooder 24/7 for the first 6 weeks then medication is pointless. If they get to go outside and hang out near grown chickens, it's a good idea.

3. julieleonard

julieleonard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Brooksville Florida
    i have 8 Stars out in the coop and the chicks im hatching out are from them, they will be raised in a brooder inside then when its time they will go out side.. i went to Tractor Supply and they didnt have any Medicated starter just reg my hubby said he didnt think they would need it anyway .
    Thanks for Replying :)

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It's up to you. The medicine in the feed is usually Ampolium, which is a cocci preventative that in my lay-mans understanding works by blocking thiamine (vitamine B) and along with it the thiamine transporter of the cocci parasite. It is only a preventative and not a cure. From what I have read it is only mildly effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by