Feeding baby chicks whole worms

KrysPel

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Florida
Hi guys!

I have six chicks that are about to turn four weeks old this Wednesday. I found a small container of worms that my father and I bought as fish bait that we're not gonna be able to use anytime soon. Would it be alright to feed them as occasional treats to my chicks every so often? I was going to, but my dad said that they could choke on the worms. They aren't meal worms, instead they are red worms. Maybe as long as your pointer finger, perhaps shorter. The chicks have already pecked and picked at the ground and eaten numerous bugs, even a roach! Would it be safe to give my chicks these worms to eat, or should I cut them up first?

I figured I'm sure it'd be safe since hens or hawks and other birds tend to feed their chicks at a young age whole food, and I've seen week old birds swallow down a whole worm. What do you guys think? I don't wanna take any chances!

I'm curious to see what more experienced people have to say but..

I've been feeding mine (all of thme 4-6ish weeks now I think) worms for a while. They down them no trouble at all. One will grab hold then the others that notice it will peep and chase after her. They end up ripping it to pieces and several get a bite. One of the littlest chicks even scratched a worm up all on her own! The whole flock chased her and she popped through the bars of the run to escape, where the ducks promptly confiscated her treat. It was pretty funny.

Hi guys!

I have six chicks that are about to turn four weeks old this Wednesday. I found a small container of worms that my father and I bought as fish bait that we're not gonna be able to use anytime soon. Would it be alright to feed them as occasional treats to my chicks every so often? I was going to, but my dad said that they could choke on the worms. They aren't meal worms, instead they are red worms. Maybe as long as your pointer finger, perhaps shorter. The chicks have already pecked and picked at the ground and eaten numerous bugs, even a roach! Would it be safe to give my chicks these worms to eat, or should I cut them up first?

I figured I'm sure it'd be safe since hens or hawks and other birds tend to feed their chicks at a young age whole food, and I've seen week old birds swallow down a whole worm. What do you guys think? I don't wanna take any chances!
Dice the worms and then feed them.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom