1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bobby47, Feb 24, 2009.

1. bobby47

bobby47 New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    my RIR chicks are 2 weeks old can I feed them oatmeal or any other "snack" along with their chick feed?

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You sure can -- with a caveat: give them free-choice grit first so their crops will be prepared to grind up anything that may need it. I wouldn't think cooked oatmeal would pose much of a problem even without grit.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. bobby47

bobby47 New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Thanks for the response. This is my first try at raising chickens and I am really enjoying it. I just wanted to do a little extra for the girls. Thanks again.[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just be careful feeding them much besides their balanced starter feed. If you do, you will mess up the balance of the protein and vitamins for them when they need it the most. I never feed small chicks anything extra except perhaps chopped hardboiled egg a couple times a week then later, a tiny bit of active culture plain yogurt. They dont get scratch till about three months old. As was mentioned, if you do give them food other than starter, give a bit of grit with it.

5. bobby47

bobby47 New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I only have 5 2 week old RIR and maybe I will just stick with their feed only schedule since they are doing so well.
    Thanks again.

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    small crickets!!!! so much fun to watch!!!

7. bobby47

bobby47 New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Great idea my grandkids will have a lot of fun with that:)

8. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I put out meal worms.... I love to watch them race around with worms in their beaks.... they are fast and then they sleep for hours from all the running.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by