1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gallopingfrog, Nov 15, 2011.

1. gallopingfrog

gallopingfrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    Arizona
    Okay, so I'm currently working on my rations (I'll be mixing my own - I have all the tools, including my Animal Science textbook, which introduced me to the awesomeness of Pearson Squares!), but I ran across a statement in the book that said do NOT give chicks (for layers) grain - like barley, I assume is what they meant. Is there a reason for this? Or am I misreading what it said? Or should I just quit overthinking it......again, again?

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    When I've raised chicks in a brooder they are unwilling to try much that is new and stick to the chick starter feed they instinctively know is good food. But when my broody hen became a Mama, she taught them from day one what is good to eat and what is not. I made chick starter available to them but she also encourage them to try meal worms, scratch, grass and whatever else she could find for them to sample. Scratch is made up of grains and she had them eating it when they were only days old. I figure Mama knows best....

3. lisa7777

lisa7777 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    Hello I am new here always wondered is it like really expensive to feed baby chicks?

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:I'm thinking that statement has to do with raising chicks in a brooder where they have no access to grit. Kinda hard to grind up a barley or wheat grain when you don't have any grinding stones in the craw. Are there any other ingredients in your home mixed chick feed that sounds like it would need to have some grit go with it? If not, then that would probably be the reason.

5. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:That depends on how many babies you have....

A 50# bag of starter sratch costs me about $14 and lasted 4-5 weeks with 24 babies. You can suplement with free range if the weather is nice, but I never found it to make much differance in the begining.

As mature girls 16-20 weeks I switch them to layer pellet at $13 a 50# bag and I need 5-6 BAGS for 24 girls and 2 turkies. And these guys get to free range too. I off set the cost by selling the extra eggs.

I dont feel that it is super expensive to feed them, but that really is a matter of opinion(sp?). Hope this helped

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:x2. For the cost of the feed I get eggs in return. I spend a lot more on feeding the dogs a high quality food and don't get anything tangible in return.

7. gallopingfrog

Oct 31, 2011
    Arizona
    Quote:I'm thinking that statement has to do with raising chicks in a brooder where they have no access to grit. Kinda hard to grind up a barley or wheat grain when you don't have any grinding stones in the craw. Are there any other ingredients in your home mixed chick feed that sounds like it would need to have some grit go with it? If not, then that would probably be the reason.

That would make sense...I get the feeling the book is geared more towards confined and limited space, etc., so I'll need to account for that in my ration. I'm working on it now, so I'll either post what I have later tonight or in the morning to see what y'all think.

8. gallopingfrog

Oct 31, 2011
    Arizona
    Okay...so for my laying chicks, I'm figuring an 18% protein meal (number derived from my book).

I've got:

30 parts of a mix of wheat bran, cracked corn, barley and sunflower seed meal to 1 part Brewer's Yeast. It comes out to an 18% mix that way, plus I'll be supplementing with kefir or yogurt and as they get a little bit older veggies and fruits (how soon is to soon on those?).

Comments....suggestions? [​IMG]

Edit: For the first 6 weeks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  9. gallopingfrog

Oct 31, 2011
    Arizona
    Then, for meat birds, the same formula, but different ration sizing for the extra protein. And added vegetable oil (any experience with this?) as my fat to get an added 3% fat to what was already in my ration.

Thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by