Feeding baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dog-Crazy Farm, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Dog-Crazy Farm

Dog-Crazy Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Alright, so I am getting a couple, like 5, Welsummers and Ameracauna chicks. My cousin is ordering a whole bunch, so she's ordering me some too. I was wondering, though, do you have to feed them medicated feed if you're raising them inside and keep them really clean? Is it better if you do? Should you? Is it healthier to feed non-medicated feed? I will eventually be switching them to Countryside Organics Layer Feed, which is what I feed my current flock of 9 hens, so they will lay organic eggs.
    Also, I raised my last chickens (also my first chickens) on paper towels for the first two weeks, and just constantly cleaned the cage. Is that necessary? Should I just use pine shaving? Newspaper isn't really an option as we don't get the newspaper.
    [​IMG]

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Dog Crazy: The medicated versus non medicated is a constant debate with chicken owners. My understanding is-if you are planning on integrating them into an older flock, your safer to gow ith the medicated feed as the older ones may be carriers. Also, allowing them to get out in dirt early on helps to build up immunity.

I have always used pine shavings with my chicks as it prevents slipping and is easy to clean.

3. Lilslinkfarm

Lilslinkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    I've never used medicated feed and haven't ever been recommended by anyone to do so, so I don't have any advice if it's better or not but I've always had healthy chicks without it! As for the paper towels, I normally keep them down on top of the shavings for 2 days until I know they have been eating well and know for sure where and what the food is [​IMG] The paper towel is just to keep them from eating the shavings but like I said, once they find the food I've never had one continue to try and eat the shavings

4. fawngrovechad

fawngrovechad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    PA in USA
    I will be getting 5 leghorn chicks pretty soon (within the month). I have 5 chickens already out back in the barn that I raised from when they were 10-12 weeks old but haven't taken the dive into the littlest of chicks yet. What tips or must haves do u all recommend? I live on the PA/MD border

5. Dog-Crazy Farm

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks guys. Also, when is the best age to move them in with my older flock?

6. Lilslinkfarm

Lilslinkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    I've always heard, and through trial and error that 14-16 weeks is best because by then they are big enough to withstand the pecking from bigger Chickens. I tried integrating some of mine at 10 weeks and they were half the size and it just didn't work. It'll go much smoother if you can put them with the big Chickens yet separated by chicken wire for a few weeks before final integration that way they're more used to each other

7. Dog-Crazy Farm

Jan 21, 2013
    Alright, thanks! 14-16 weeks. I was thinking it was supposed to be earlier, but my flock is pretty aggressive so 14-16 weeks is probably better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by