Feeding baby turkey poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BUNNY HUT1, Apr 29, 2016.

1. BUNNY HUT1

BUNNY HUT1 New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    I was wondering what everyone feeds their baby turkeys..

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Medicated turkey start. 27% protein. I prefer the Bar Ale brand. This goes for both my meat and breeders. I wouldn't recommend anything with protein under 25% or 26%. I switch mine to a turkey/broiler grow ration at 8-10 weeks.

3. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    Kalmback starter grower.

1 person likes this.
  4. BOrion

BOrion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Where in the world do you get the high protein food? I haven't found it in TSC or Big R. That's all I have within 200 miles

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    When we had a Big R here locally they carried 28% turkey and gamebird starter. You should check with them and see if they will order it for you. Another option is that most chain stores do permit online ordering with free delivery to your local store.

From what I have seen Tractor Supply does not carry any good quality poultry feed preferring to sell low quality feeds that they can make a higher profit on. I personally will not buy feed from Tractor Supply. Most areas do have at least one locally run non chain store that carries quality products and will order what their customers request. It is better to support your local business than a chain store.

6. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    We buy from co ops

7. QueenMisha

It's not easy to find. You'll probably have to order it in special. I work at a store that specializes in poultry and even we don't have it on hand regularly.

8. PoultMomma

PoultMomma New Egg

May 2, 2016
    TSC does infact have a Gamebird/Showbird starter at 24%. Its made by MannaPro. So far my week old poults are doing great with it.

9. ChickenChaser43

ChickenChaser43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    Central Pa
    TSC has DuMor Starter that is 24% protein. I do know it is labeled Starter. Not to be mistaken or confused with Starter/Grower, which is a lower protein percentage. I copy and pasted this next bit of info from the label. Crude Protein (min.) 24.00%. To me that means the lowest percentage it could be is 24% and it possibly could be higher. Although it is probably doubtful, because I would assume a higher protein percentage would be more costly on the manufacturer's end.

I see a lot of info regarding turkey nutritional needs and most of the time it doesn't necessarily state the particular breed type when info is given. I would be interested in knowing if heritage breeds have different requirements than other domestic types. I would assume that the broad breasted breeds would be in need of the high (28-30%) types of feed because of their accelerated growth rates. Not sure if that is correct and I am still researching and learning as I go.

10. QueenMisha

That's a very interesting thought. I doubt there's much research on the distinction though, since most poultry studies and funded by the industry at large and therefore are focused on industrial breeds, not heritage. Most likely any studies which have been done would be very old and likely not applicable since poultry feed has changed so much in the past 50-60 years alone. But you've rather peaked my interest, I'll go do a bit of digging on the web later today and see if I can come up with anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by