feeding baby turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fultzie, Mar 21, 2012.

1. fultzie

fultzie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    i was wondering about adding afew turks in my flock and not sure about the feed.never seen turk starter ..just wondered if you use chick starter.or? only talking about adding 4 or 5 turks. i believe they should get along with my chicks .so i hope any way lol ty

2. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    I use game bird starter. I buy it from the local co-op and I get the one with the highest protein content.

3. iarthur

iarthur New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    Starter for game birds has a higher protein content, and that's what you'll want for turkeys, too. Be careful about mixing chickens and turkeys. My understanding is that mixing them is discouraged because turkeys are more susceptible to histomoniasis, or "blackhead." Chickens are less-susceptible carriers of the disease.

http://www.millerhatcheries.com/information/diseases/blackhead_disease.htm

4. fultzie

fultzie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    ok ty so much for the info..that helps alot ..i may want to rethink mixing than..

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Contact your local ag extension office and ask them if Blackhead is common in your area. I have always had chickens and turkeys together and NEVER have a had a problem. And game bird starter is what you should feed turkey poults. I use 30% protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by