feeding back eggshells.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rubyrogue, Jun 17, 2010.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    when i feed back eggshells how small do i need to crush them?

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    My chickens are picky. They won't eat them unless I discuise them as a treat. I cook rice and I put the egg shells in the ultimate chopper and turn them almost to powder. It's more like sand. Then I mix the 2. As long as I don't add too many egg shells they will eat it right up.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I use a round cake pan to dry mine out in. So when there all dry I throw a paper towel over them and crush them in small pieces! Just so they can't associate that with an egg.

Missi

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    once I crack the egg to use, thats all the cracking or breaking up I do..and they don't eat the eggs in their nest either..

5. goldenchic

goldenchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    i bake mine in the oven then i used to use a pestle & motar but a bit rough on the wrist, so i put mine through the blender, & throw mine on the run floor this seems to work

6. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I just crush mine a little with my fingers. Sometimes I rinse them first, sometimes I don't. But I don't bake/boil them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    D'Angelo N Va. :

once I crack the egg to use, thats all the cracking or breaking up I do..and they don't eat the eggs in their nest either..

Same here.​

8. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I dry mine for a day or so, then bake them in the oven. I crush them with a glass or something, whatever is handy, and then mix it with their feed (I use either crumbles or pellets), with their hard boiled eggs I crush up for them, their spaghetti, or their brown rice. I've even just set a bowl of crushed shells for them to pick at. They love them and will eat them before they will eat the oyster shells.

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I just save them in a coffee can when it full I put them in a gallon bag crush them with a rolling pin then put them in a pan and put them in the pen. The chickens then eat what they need. No problems with egg eating and no extra cost of oyster shell.

10. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Mine go straight back out to them in the compost pile along with the rest of the kitchen scraps. No crushing, no baking, no nothing. They tear them up with no trouble. I mean have you seen those beaks?[​IMG] Those girls would tear me apart if they were big enough!

This doesn't seem to cause them to develop any kind of egg-eating habit, have been doing it for 2+ years now.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by