feeding bacon fat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by birdland001, Oct 27, 2013.

1. birdland001

birdland001 New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    hello everyone...i am thinking of making suet cakes with bacon fat (drained from pan) and scratch grains and perhaps some miscellaneous bread scraps and cereal breakfast bits. my questions....is bacon fat too salty for laying hens? what about the preservatives, like the nitrates? i am thinking of giving them maybe one homemade suet cake once a week during the winter. thanks everyone for your thoughts.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They won't consume enough to hurt them if it's mixed with all those other things

3. birdland001

birdland001 New Egg

Jan 29, 2012
    thank-you.

i guess the bacon fat is there essentially to help the grains, bread scraps, and breakfast cereal bits stick together. plus, some fat to help the birds keep warm in the winter. and yes, a way to use up bacon fat!

4. meli229

meli229 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Santa Rosa
    I tried making my own suet with bacon fat for the wild birds, instead of buying one of those cakes, and they ignored it. I didn't try giving it the hens, though!

Good luck, love to know how they like it. Always looking for a way to reuse the grease!

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It may just take them a while to get used to it

I've made them using lard and peanut butter too, but they don't hold up well in hot weather

6. loveoutdoor

loveoutdoor Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    North Dakota
    My chickens love all the pork trimmings/fat, and clean up the bones. Then give the bones to the dogs :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by