Feeding Bantam Cochins Whole Corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mucky, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Mucky

Mucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    small town iowa
    My bantam cochins are about a year and a half old. I feed them a layer feed with an occasional leftover from the kitchen. My neighbors had some whole corn that they gave me and I am wanting to give it to the chickens. I'm nervous about giving it to them because I am afraid the kernels are too large. The chickens are fairly small. I also have never gave them any grit. Their run is covered in several inches of fill sand so I never bothered to give them any actual granite grit. I am hoping to hear some advice from someone before I give it to them. I have never even given them cracked corn, maybe they won't even like it.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! They should be just fine without grit, since you have sand in your run. I don't know about feeding bantams whole corn....It seems so large. I just bought some cracked corn from the local mill, and I was kind of disappointed because I didn't think it was cracked enough....The pieces are kind of large. I still give it to them, and they seem to like it, but I don't give them too much. I won't buy the mill brand next time.....

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

All our chickens, bantams included, get whole corn if we have any left that dried on the stalk from the garden. They also have grit free choice, but they have never had a problem with it.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I have tiny OEGB and I bet they would eat it, once they got used to it. It's amazing what chickens can put in their mouths! They swallow whole cockroaches![​IMG]
    If a little bitty banty can swallow an AZ cockroach I'm sure they can eat some whole corn. Mine eat whole wheat. Try sprouting it so that it's easier to digest and more nutritious. Soak it for a day and then put it in a burlap sack, rinsing it each day until sprouted. That's what I like to do with whole grains for them.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'm nervous about giving it to them because I am afraid the kernels are too large.
    The chickens are fairly small

Pigeons and Doves eat whole corn with no problems​

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. Bantam 1975

Bantam 1975 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2016
    I feed my Cochin Bantams whole corn in their diet. Not one problem. Think of it this way. If a Cochin Bantam can catch and eat a 2 inch X 1/2 inch locust whole, then a 1 centimeter kernel of corn will not be a problem. Not only that, my Cochin Bantam rooster ate a small field mouse whole it caught while foraging in the yard. So yes, Cochin Bantams can eat whole corn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by