Feeding Bantams Layer Pellets?

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
I have never really owned bantams before and I am getting a flock of Bantam Salmon and Blue Salmon Faverolles next week. I was wondering if they can eat Layena pellets like my Std. girls do? If not should I buy them crumbles? I feel like my birds waste more food when I buy crumbles but Id like to hear other peoples opinions do they waste more eating pellets?

Thanks,
Henry

hmm maybe I will try it again they really do like them better I will get them tommorow when I go the feed store.

Henry

I kept mine on crumbles, worrying they wouldn't want to eat the pellets or something because of their size difference. They wasted the heck out of it and I was very relieved to switch to pellets. My sacks of feed last a lot longer now since there's virtually no waste with them eating pellets.

I've used crumbles and yes they do waste but I put out a little less so they can clean up the mess, providing that the ground is clean. Use a rubber mat underneath the feeders so you can clean it out every other day.

Layer and Flock Raiser or Gamebird ration are good for them, keep them in top breeding condition. Nikki should tell you what she feeds them with and follow that suggestion.

Enjoy them!

I found it is much easier to feed one base feed to all my birds( Large Fowl, Bantams, Ducks and Gooses ) and I feed it to chicks, growers and layers ..
The feed I use as a base feed is Kalmbach 1044 Crumble. The Kalmbach 1044 is a starter/grower for Duck, Goose, Chick & Gamebird and I just cut with a grain mix to the amount of protein I want..

Chris

Last edited:
They certainly can eat pellets, they're not too big for them but I think it's the same as with LF; some waste more with pellets, some waste more with crumbles. It's going to be up to you as to what works better for your flock.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom