Feeding Beryl’s friendly Bacteria

Hmturner

In the Brooder
May 17, 2022
Has anyone managed to feed Beryl’s friendly Bacteria by putting it in food rather than syringing it? One of my chickens has just finished antibiotics so need to get some in her but if mixes with food works I would rather not stress her out by doing more syringing.

I have no idea never used it before. It says either syringe or mix it into the layers pellets but I’m concerned they might not eat the pellets with it mixed in because I recall people saying it stinks so just wondered if anyone had tried mixing it.

Has anyone managed to feed Beryl’s friendly Bacteria by putting it in food rather than syringing it? One of my chickens has just finished antibiotics so need to get some in her but if mixes with food works I would rather not stress her out by doing more syringing.
Hi there
I’ve just ordered some Beryl’s for exactly the same reason (post antibiotic use) and would prefer to add it to food as I’ve been having to syringe and force feed meds to my hen for the last week! How did you get on? Did you mix it with their food?
Thanks, Hayley

Just an update on the Beryl's usage. I fed it to my 4 hens back in June 2022, mixed a little vegetable oil in with the pellets first and then added the sachet (veg oil helped it to stick to the pellets). They wolfed it down, no problem at all, it smelt very "cheesey" but maybe that's why they liked it so much! 🤷‍♀️
Anyway, it has worked wonders for the hen that had been on antibiotics for sour crop or something akin to that, she is now healthier than I've ever seen her (got her when she was about 2 years old, now heading on to 5 years young!). She used to always have runny poop and stained feathers (she's a White Sussex) but not had any of that since treating with Beryl's.
Guidelines for Beryl's suggests feeding it every few months, and especially so for elderly hens. I'll definitely be buying more in the new year, they are all in lockdown again now, and know from last year that after a couple of months of cooped up stress they are soon in need of a pick-me-up (lost a hen last February whilst the avian flu housing order was in force) so planning to "treat" them again in January 2023.
Definitely recommend.
Hope this is helpful.

Just an update on the Beryl's usage. I fed it to my 4 hens back in June 2022, mixed a little vegetable oil in with the pellets first and then added the sachet (veg oil helped it to stick to the pellets). They wolfed it down, no problem at all, it smelt very "cheesey" but maybe that's why they liked it so much! 🤷‍♀️
Anyway, it has worked wonders for the hen that had been on antibiotics for sour crop or something akin to that, she is now healthier than I've ever seen her (got her when she was about 2 years old, now heading on to 5 years young!). She used to always have runny poop and stained feathers (she's a White Sussex) but not had any of that since treating with Beryl's.
Guidelines for Beryl's suggests feeding it every few months, and especially so for elderly hens. I'll definitely be buying more in the new year, they are all in lockdown again now, and know from last year that after a couple of months of cooped up stress they are soon in need of a pick-me-up (lost a hen last February whilst the avian flu housing order was in force) so planning to "treat" them again in January 2023.
Definitely recommend.
Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for coming back and telling us this! I'm sure someone will find it useful!

Back
Top Bottom