Feeding Blue Scale Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 5, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Hey folks!

I talked to the guy who raised these quail and he feeds a 20% turkey starter. I picked up some 22% meat bird feed that said pheasants as well as turkeys, geese, and ducks. These birds hatched out in July.

Not enough protein? Okay? What do you think?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    22% will work if this is all you can find. Sometimes all I can find is 18% and mine do fine. However I do add foods that have high protein in these cases to up the protein.

You can offer dried or live meal worms or dried crickets to their diet, hard boiled egg, (clean up what they dont eat after a few hours so it doesn't spoil), sunflower chips (the kind you find in the wild bird seed section), all these will add protein to their diet. Many grains have high protein also. Quinoa comes to mind. I mix this one up in a seed mix in which I offer a hand full a day during the winter.

You can even add soybean meal to the food for added protein, although I have never done it. Yours will do fine. [​IMG]

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Okay, I can get Quinoa easily. I can get dried mealworms and sunflower chips. Should I give them wild bird mix too? Maybe some suet?

It's really cold outside, I doubt anything is going to spoil. If my hens would lay eggs, I'd consider feeding them hard boiled egg. Snotty chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by