feeding bobwhites wild bird seed

Birdman18

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi,
i have a few 7 week old bobwhites that i want to feed wild bird seed, should i maybe grind it up first then feed it to them?

Thanks!

I Wouldnt Yet--- I Do Give My Bobs Scratch Grains On Top Of Their Gamebird Ration As A Treat/ Suppliment, But Not Until They Are Full Sized--- Grains Can Cause Young Ones Alot Of Problems( They Can Choke On It, And It May Cause A Varying Multitude Of Digestive Malladies)--- Dont Throw It Out--- Just Save It For Now They're 1/2 Way There!

If You Really Want To See Them Loose Their Minds Once Full Grown Give Them Fresh Raw Corn On The Cob---- But Watch Your Fingers The 2nd Time You Give It To Them...lol

Quote:
Thanks so much JJMR794!!
i'll be sure to feed them other things then once there full grown i'll feed them the bird seed.

I appreciate it

Quote:
If you want to see me loose my mind feed me fresh corn on the cob, with a fresh tomato.
big_smile.png

Personally speaking, wild bird seed can be more expensive than chicken and game bird food and with less protein. If it's cheaper than $16 a 50 pound bag, it's chock full of stuff even wild birds don't eat. I hope it was a question about (as a treat) not as a standard ration.

If Birdman's question is "can I replace a quality game bird, or even chicken feed with cheap wild bird seed?). My answer is NO!
I don't know if that was the question or not.

Quote:
If you want to see me loose my mind feed me fresh corn on the cob, with a fresh tomato.
big_smile.png

Personally speaking, wild bird seed can be more expensive than chicken and game bird food and with less protein. If it's cheaper than $16 a 50 pound bag, it's chock full of stuff even wild birds don't eat. I hope it was a question about (as a treat) not as a standard ration.

If Birdman's question is "can I replace a quality game bird, or even chicken feed with cheap wild bird seed?). My answer is NO!
I don't know if that was the question or not.

I just wanted to know if you could because i ran out of feed for them. I've been giving them good whole wheat bread mixed with ground peanuts and sunflowers. They seem to like it not to mention how good it is for them. I checked on the wild bird seed i have, it looks to be pretty good quality:
Protein 15% (minimum) Fat 10% (min.) Fiber 20% (min.)
It even says to feed it to quails etc..

Please think twice before feeding them wild bird seed at all. Everytime I fed mine wild bird seed, somebody died. After the third loss, I figured out what was doing it. I've never given them bird seed again and that stopped the loss.

The bird seed I fed them was not a cheap food. It is Mayo Wild Bird Seed. It doesn't have a lot of millet in it, which are the seeds even wild birds don't eat. It does have peanut hearts (little tiny pieces of the heart of the peanut) in it. Perhaps that is what killed my quail. I don't know. But I do know it isn't worth the risk to me.

Good luck with yours!

Hope y'all have a TERRIFIC EVENING!!

Quote:
Thanks the Old Rebel, for letting me know, i'll be sure to not give them bird seed. There are other nutrious and good things i can feed them so thats what i'll give them. But i'm pretty sure in the wild they get bird seed like millet and they thrive, though they do eat insects and other things.

Thank Again!!

Hope y'all have a great evening!!

Back
Top Bottom