Feeding BOSS... and a rice question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newTexan2chickens, Jul 14, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I have been using this as their evening treat.... is it okay in the heat and is there a limit to how much I should feed? Also can chickens have cooked plain rice? Thanks!

2. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I don't know what BOSS is, but my chickens love rice. I only give them leftovers, so it's not a huge amount (I only have 2 adults and 4 10-weekers).

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    BOSS = Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

I give my flock of approx 120 birds about two big handfuls aday. If they really eat them up, I give them another handful.
    In the last heat wave, temps reached over 100' I still gave them BOSS.
    I also mix a bit of BOSS in their hanging feeders.

I give them all scraps from the house except veggies like Broccoli, onions and any other strong veggie that would taint the eggs.
    My chickens love rice, couscous, Quineoa, French fries, spaghetti noodles etc.

4. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    the seeds are fine and a good source of LDL'S make sure they have access to plenty of grit tho as the husks are pretty hard, if they free range then grit shouldnt be an issue.
    personaly i dont feed them to chickens due to the cost! but we do buy in about 50KG of black sunflower seeds a week for some of our avery birds.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    except veggies like Broccoli, onions and any other strong veggie that would taint the eggs

Broccoli doesn't taint the eggs at all in my opinion. Did I read this correctly? Or maybe because I eat broccoli a lot I wouldn't notice?

I cut back on the BOSS during the summer because they don't need the extra fat (even though it is "good" fat). I give extra greens as treats in the summer.​

6. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    We're having a rather mild (quite the understatement) "summer" here in the pacific north west, and BOSS plays a part in their regular treat schedule along with kale, some scratch if available along with some normal feed. The run isn't complete enough for unattended outdoor time for my lady inmates so when they go out I throw handfuls of BOSS/Scratch/Feed in the sand run for them to go after. Each hen have their priorities on what they go for first and they do a pretty good job at going after it all.

I always supplement with soft treats as well so a stalk or two of kale (leafy greens only, the stalk gets tossed) and recently some seedless grape halves either let go (for entertainment) or hand held. The kale is hand held or tossed out in small enough pieces.

After observing them yesterday, I was delighted seeing them scratch up some BOSS sprouting in the sand. They're sprouting better than my trays I set out, so I'm thinking I might try burying some as a surprise.

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    My birds eat 20% BOSS. BOSS is cheap for me at $13 per 50lbs. It is a decent vegetarian source of the amino acid Methionine.
    BOSS is around 17% protein. Rice I think is around 8%.

I really can not comment on if it is OK in the heat. As it rarely gets very warm where I live.

ON

8. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    Quote:We're struggling with the heat because we must be getting all of yours! My birds are eating cooked white or brown rice or cooked oatmeal with milk in the morning because they just don't want to eat their crumbles. Its been over 110 for the past week and its getting hotter over the next 4 days. I'm not feeding anything after 12 noon (but they do have crumbles available anytime they want) until it cools down to a brisk 105.[​IMG]

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Hey, if that's Fort Mohave Arizona, you're just down the road from me. [​IMG] It is HOT here! It's 102 in the shade on my back porch right now.

I regularly feed my birds treats like broccoli (we eat it a lot so they get the leftovers) and I don't notice any taste difference. I feed them onions too. The sunflower seeds are too expensive for me, at $20 for a 50 pound bag, but I feed them rice pretty regularly also and it does not seem to bother them a bit.

10. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] i think its around $30 for 25KG where we get it from

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by