1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding both chicks and hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tigger123, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Tigger123

Tigger123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    I have a pair of silkies with a couple of chicks due in 2 weeks, how do I go about feeding them if they stay together in the coop. As I will have normal pellets and chick crumb?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you can just feed the mothers the same thing as the chicks because they are not laying

3. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    Thanks, so I don't need to put layers pellets down at all, the adult hen and cockerel will just eat chick crumbs not medicated.

4. Poultry parent

yep

5. Poultry parent

just put the hens back on layer when they start to lay again

6. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    Will they be safe in the same coop together, I wanted to do it natures way and not have to separate them.

7. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    The broody hen should be safe with the chicks, but make sure you watch how they react to the first chick that hatches. Even broody hens can sometime attack chicks. It depends one the chicken, so if they react well to the chicks, keep them together.
    Same with the cockerel. If he attacks the chick, you will need to take him out.

8. Tigger123

Jun 19, 2016
    Ok will keep an eye out for this then, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by