Feeding Breeder Chickens...please help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chevis, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Chevis

Chevis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    I was wondering a few things. What does everyone feed the breeder chickens. I have a bunch of differnt breeds that Im seperating and im going to start breeding to sell hatching eggs and chicks. Im feeding Laying Mash and Corn. I put this in the feeding section but got no answers.

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I feed all my birds the same thing; Flock Raiser and scratch. I have breeders and egg layers.

3. Chevis

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    Really..... I thought there was a different feed u were supposed to feed them.

4. Chevis

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    Hey do u sell hatching eggs!!!! I was looking at what u had and I would love to have some more Polish to add to my other ones!!!!! U can send me a PM and let me know if u want! Thanks!

5. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    There is a "breeder ration" that you MAY be able to find locally. It is impossible where I am. What I do is suppliment. I give layer crumbles (3lbs per 10 birds (standards)) and suppliment with protein, vitamins, and iron. You can buy protien tablets to add to water once a week... same with vitamins (A, D, E for fertility)... and I give spinach and deeply colored green greens for iron.

If you can find breeder ration though... it's all you need. Also, too much scratch can slow down laying... and eggs are money if you are breeding. Should only give what they can eat in 5 minutes. It's a treat, not a staple. (I use it as a lure to get them back in the run from "free range" time lol)

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most of the breeders I know feed there breeders a Game Bird feed. Either a game bird Grower or the Breeder ration and supplement with a grain or good grain mix will do just fine..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by