1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Broilers in the Winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mminer13, Nov 25, 2014.

1. mminer13

mminer13 New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    My husband just couldn't wait and so we currently have 33 Cornish x chicks in our basement. They'll be three weeks old tomorrow and I'm dying to get them out of the house. We just cleaned out all the bedding in their pen yesterday and it smelled horrible again when I got home today from work. I'm tired of feeling like I'm living in a barn haha.

Of course within a week of their arrival, our temps dropped down to highs below freezing for a few day, so we've avoided even moving them to the unheated garage, but I can't take it anymore, and we plan to transition them to the garage (with heat lamps of course) this weekend as most have lost the majority of their down and have their feathers.

We've been pulling their feed at night since they were a week old to avoid too rapid of growth, but my husband is thinking that we should keep feed in there 24/7 when we put them outside since they'll be burning more to keep warm, but I'm worried we might have growth issue develop from that. I had also heard that you can feed them scratch as they'll burn the carbs from that instead of the protein in their grower mash. They've been thriving and we've only lost two so far (both seemed to have issues from the start, so we weren't surprised) which from the experiences of others seems to be pretty good for our first batch (a guy my husband works with said he lost over 50% of his!) and I'd like to keep it that way.

We're not opposed to waiting a bit longer for them to grow, but we're new at this and not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by