Feeding Carpet Pythons

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lostbody, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Lostbody

Lostbody Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I was just wondering if there are any other python owners here.
    I've got a 4 year old Carpet Python, and I usually feed him live rats, but lately he's been getting quite sloppy on the kills.
    I don't mind feeding him live animals, but I don't want them to suffer for 2-3 minutes while he figures it out and bloodies up the tank.

The only options I know of are to feed him stunned or dead rodents instead.
    Does anyone here have experience with those methods? Opinions, preferences?

2. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Thawed frozen is the typical way that zoos feed, its cleaner and less chance for the rodent to hurt the snake, which does happen at times. If he's used to live, you may have to use fresh killed for a while to get the smell to be the same, and possibly poke it a bit to mimic movement but usually you can train them over to eating dead. The other benefit to feeding dead is that they stop viewing any movement as potential food - makes your hand a less likely target.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You could also try feeding thawed or fresh killed with a pair of feeder tongs. That helps to get movement without sticking your hand near the snake.

4. Lostbody

Lostbody Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the advice!
    I used to feed him with a pair of 12-inch tongs, back when he was young and feisty. I think I still have them somewhere.
    I guess DH will have to get used to seeing rats in the freezer again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by