Feeding Cat Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AnimalLover1049, Jan 4, 2017.

1. AnimalLover1049

AnimalLover1049 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    California, USA
    Hi so I'm a relatively new chicken owner and my chickens are about 4 months old so they're going to be laying pretty soon. I have seen people who say they feed their chickens a little bit of dry cat food for animal protein during the winter months or if they're molting (which my chickens are). However, I don't show my chickens or anything, I just raise them for pets and I was wondering if I should start giving them a bit of dry cat food. Also, if I should are there any brand recommendations? Thanks :)

2. Sparky74

Sparky74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Cowra, NSW, Australia
    I'm by no means an expert but I feed my girls some dry cat food once a week as a treat. I buy a cheap brand but always look at the % of protein and sodium printed on the box. You want high protein and low sodium. I soak a good handful of cat food in water for about half an hour or until it swells up and goes soft. The girls go crazy for it.

3. Cat food is okay......I feed grower to my Birds during the molt....Then once the feathers are coming in nicely I mix in the Layer 50/50 once laying begins again.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by