Feeding Chick Starter to Molting Flock ...

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello! My chickens have started their autumn molt, and I’ve been thinking of ways to mix in some more protein for them. Here are some details about the flock:

1.) They can’t free range because of dogs and predators
2.) I have hens and roosters together
3.) I have some 3 month old chicks who are on chick starter now

I read somewhere that chick starter is a good supplement during molting time, however, the starter I have is medicated. My question: is it safe to let the big chickens eat the medicated chick starter? And while I have your attention, is it safe for the 3 month old chicks to eat the adult chicken food (I feed All Flock and offer oyster shell/chicken egg shell for calcium so my roosters don’t ingest too much calcium)?

Thanks for any advice!

I wouldn't feed the adults medicated chick starter though chicks eating all-flock is fine.

If you want to add more protein for the feathers you could also feed game bird feed. I believe that is typically 30% protein which is a lot higher than most chick feeds or grower/layer. It is typically sold in big bags right next to the other chicken feed.

I feed All Flock
Your All-Flock is probably 20% Protein, though I've seen as low as 16%. Check the tag at bottom of bag.
I read somewhere that chick starter is a good supplement during molting time, however, the starter I have is medicated.
The Medicated Start and Grow I buy is 18% Protein.
If the medication is Amprolium, it's safe to give to hens and eat the eggs.
Facts from Nutrena.
20190627_120952.jpg

I feed my hens Medicated Chick Starter when I run out of their feed and I'm raising chicks.
But they're regular feed is a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% with Oyster Shells separately.
If your All-Flock is 18 to 20% Protein I would continue to feed that to the chickens in molt, but if you run out and your Medicated feed has Amprolium as the active ingredient, it won't hurt them.
20200429_155851_resized_kindlephoto-10700667.jpg

GC

Your All-Flock is probably 20% Protein, though I've seen as low as 16%. Check the tag at bottom of bag.

The Medicated Start and Grow I buy is 18% Protein.
If the medication is Amprolium, it's safe to give to hens and eat the eggs.
Facts from Nutrena.View attachment 2280426
I feed my hens Medicated Chick Starter when I run out of their feed and I'm raising chicks.
But they're regular feed is a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% with Oyster Shells separately.
If your All-Flock is 18 to 20% Protein I would continue to feed that to the chickens in molt, but if you run out and your Medicated feed has Amprolium as the active ingredient, it won't hurt them.View attachment 2280431
GC
Thanks so much for the info! :wee

I wouldn't feed the adults medicated chick starter though chicks eating all-flock is fine.

If you want to add more protein for the feathers you could also feed game bird feed. I believe that is typically 30% protein which is a lot higher than most chick feeds or grower/layer. It is typically sold in big bags right next to the other chicken feed.
Thank you!! :love

Back
Top Bottom