Feeding chicken eggs to quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JiminyChristmas, May 4, 2018.

1. JiminyChristmas

JiminyChristmas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2017
    Forgive me if this has been discussed previously, I did do a search with no luck.
    I'm cooking up some surplus chicken eggs to feed back to the chickens, is it ok to feed some to my quail also? I have 2-4mo old silvers and A+M, and also some 4week old bobwhites. The coturnix are laying but I'm about to set the incubator so I have no extras for them.

Side question: what in the world is a cookie and why do I need to have them enabled to login to this website???

KikisGirls and 007Sean like this.
  2. 007Sean

007Sean Flock Master Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Jiminy,

Yes, you can feed chicken eggs to your quail....of course they should be boiled first!

Cookies are used to verify your legit and not a robot. Also used to track which sites you have visited and then you'll get ads that "pop up" trying to sell you a product you have looked at or was on the same page you were looking at on the web.

KikisGirls likes this.
  3. Laurasnextstep

Laurasnextstep Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2018
    Portsmouth, UK
    My ladies love scrambled chicken egg! Definitely one of their favourite snacks!

KikisGirls likes this.
  4. Dayrel

Dayrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Pretty much any site that you log into uses cookies (Twitter/Facebook/Your bank/etc). They are a small chunk of data used between your browser and the web server to help the site know who you are when you jump from one page to another. Without cookies, the site wouldn't know you were JiminyChristmas after you left the login page. There are other uses for cookies (some not so nice), but the login cookies are perfectly normal and harmless.

KikisGirls likes this.
  5. JiminyChristmas

JiminyChristmas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks for the replies. I will distribute eggs as planned.

And about the cookies, good thing I love ads! Sometimes I come on here just for the ads. Especially the ads for stuff I already looked at....woohoo ads!

KikisGirls likes this.
  6. Dayrel

Dayrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Oh. You'll get ads with or without cookies enabled. If you don't want to see so many ads, then you should use a good ad-blocker for your browser.

Just be aware that by doing so, you are cutting into BYC's income.

7. Danny C.

Danny C. Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2018
    007Sean, just hatched bunch of chicks and have the left over shells. Can they be crushed and feed to adults or are they considered too old to use versus boiled eggs fresher.
    Thanks

8. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2017
    I wouldn't use the hatched shells, just in case bacteria have grown on them. Either boil them to kill bacteria or throw them in a compost heap somewhere.

Danny C. likes this.
  9. Danny C.

Danny C. Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2018
    Thanks and good point, didn’t think of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by