Feeding chicken livers to chickens?

Hi there.
I wouldn't feed them to them for a few reasons;
1.Chickens usually eat chicken feed,corn,vegetables etc so I wouldn't feed them liver.

2.The chickens don't know that it is chicken liver which means they are technically eating
Their people, you are giving them food but they don't know what it is so they will eat it,
It's like someone saying to you "here's some beef" and it is actually human leg,
You won't know that it's human but you are eating other humans so when you think about it, it disgusting.

I wouldn't feed them to the chickens.
If you have a dog give the liver to them.
Goodluck
Fionn.

Let's not forget chickens are omnivores...they are born meat & plant eaters.

I've seen my chickens eat toads, frogs, bugs, mice, eggs, and peck at steak and pork chop bones, as well as their regular feed. This is natural for them.

My 2 biggest reasons for not giving them chicken liver in particular are:
1. I love those for myself, lol. Nothing much better than a plate of rumaki (marinated liver, and water chestnut wrapped in a piece of bacon and baked until crispy
droolin.gif

2. Liver has a pretty high iron content and I don't know how much iron is too much for birds.

I know they are omnivorous but
Would you feed a dog another dog?
Would you eat human?
That is my main reason for not feeding a chicken, Chicken liver.
Goodluck
Fionn.

I know they are omnivorous but
Would you feed a dog another dog?
Would you eat human?
That is my main reason for not feeding a chicken, Chicken liver.
Goodluck
Fionn.

Sorry, your "reasoning" escapes me...we're talking chickens, not dogs, not humans. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Peace!

Well.......They eat each other in the wild if another chicken has a disease.Thats why we remove injured chickens because they will peck the scab and make it worse.

I think it is our human sensibilities and moral codes (maybe religion too) that makes cannibalism so taboo. Chickens don't have such concerns. If a chicken has a particularly nasty injury, the other chickens will often target it and sometimes even eat it alive if you don't catch it soon enough. I don't think you can say that they don't know it is a chicken in that case. It doesn't seem to be a health hazard apart from the possible high iron content, but there is iron in blood and that's what they are attracted to. I'm not sure where the concern regarding iron supplement and chickens comes from. I've certainly fed mine liver scraps (gristly off cut bits) from other animals in the past and they have gobbled them up. I'm with N F C, in that it seems a terrible waste not to eat the chicken livers yourself. I have a great pate recipe that gets utilized at this time of year and I've been saving my butchered excess cockerel's livers for just that reason! I feed the hearts and lungs from those butchered cockerels to my chickens though and they love them, particularly during moulting season when the extra protein is required for feather regrowth.

Anything other than the balanced feed provided is of no need to a Chicken......Kids love candy, would you feed that all the time?

Chickens do not need to eat Chicken livers........Anything other than feed is a filler and a possible killer........

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom